The Living City
The Living City

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Computing applied in architecture

The reason for my lack of a post so far about the interaction of the disciplinary views of computing and architecture is that I have had trouble narrowing down exactly what might prove to be a useful (or at least promising) interaction to pursue.

After some thought, I've worked out some areas of research for this part of my research matrix that were selected for personal interest and their future utility:

  • Researching the Theoretical Aspects of Computing: in particular, the mathematical concepts that form its base, or helped develop computing to what it is today. The ideas and concepts in this discipline could be abstracted and applied to architecture. Or perhaps not even require abstraction to apply to architecture, since maths itself is abstract.
  • 3D Visualisation and Interaction: I would like to devote some time in this course to working on 3D visualisations (renders, point tracking videos, and augmented reality) and interaction in a 3D environment (Unity3D, Crysis; to simulate a building's structurally feasible, intelligent response to occupants)
  • Research into and Use of Programming: Given my experience in the area, it would be a shame to not use it when it comes to the interaction of the disciplinary views of computing and architecture. In the past, concepts from programming have proven useful for me in generating good architecture, so I'm confident they will help once more. Furthermore, concepts from programming relate this point directly to the first point of researching the theoretical aspects of computing. If I broaden my knowledge in that area, I will have even more concepts to aid my design process.

No comments:

Post a Comment