The Living City
The Living City

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Letting Grasshopper Experimentation Evolve with Galapagos

I'm currently fiddling with something I'd been sitting on since late last week, not sure if it would work or not. A city generator in Grasshopper. I'm using it to test my knowledge of how a city forms over time. It's an ongoing experiment, since a city is a very complex system of cityblock-level and building-level evolution, and relies on many factors as outlined in my previous posts.

For a while, I was a little stuck on iterating over arrays stored oddly in a tree, but with a post on the Grasshopper forums and a prompt reply from David Rutten (the creator of Grasshopper O_o), the solution is working much more convincingly.

Rather than manually trawling through all possible variations of the parameters controlling my city form generator, I decided to let Grasshopper's Galapagos solver do its thing. The cool part of it is that once I made it, I could just sit back and watch Galapagos find a city form optimised for the survival functions I define.

Also, while on the Grasshopper website, I found a cool video that really inspires me to do more with Galapagos:


No comments:

Post a Comment